iPhone and Linux

Monday, September 6, 2010

Over 100 million language files deleted?

Over at xsellize.com, the user lll2for3lll, who posted the language file script there and zipped it for download, reported that the long version has been downloaded 2,834 times and the short version 3,421 times, for a total of 6,255 downloads from the xsellize forum alone. I think that only counts the latest version that was uploaded there in March.

I've also had 15,000 hits to that one page on this blog. Then there are people who have gotten it from other forums, the two or three places where it's been translated into other languages and the people who tell me they've ran it on 30 phones.

So I'll add a conservative 5,000 people who have downloaded and used the script through means other than xsellize.

Users usually report that the script deletes 4,000 to 5,000 language directories, but I'll use a more conservative figure of 3,500 because I never had a lot of apps installed and that's what it deleted on mine.

So from those stats, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I'm responsible for deleting over 40 million directories from iPhones all over the world.

If I remember correctly, there are usually anywhere from two to five or more files in those directories. If we assume a conservative 2.5 files per directory, that's 100 million files.

I'm like a virus.

In reality, I just wrote a script that a few thousand people used, which isn't a big deal, but it's kind of humbling to think I did 100 million of anything. If I had a dollar for every file deleted...

Blog Archive